Hair Care Tips for Post Covid Hair Loss
Have you recently recovered from Covid-19 and experienced noticeable hair loss? Well, don't worry, you are not alone. Millions of others are also dealing with this nasty lingering effect of COVID-19.
However, there is good news. Hair loss due to COVID- 19 is reversible. In fact, patients have reported hair regrowth within 5-9 months of hair loss in many cases.
This temporary hair loss condition is called telogen effluvium or TE. It occurs after a few months of emotional distress, major surgery, or high fever - which all are the major symptoms of COVID-19.
Stress coupled with inadequate nutrition majorly triggers this temporary hair fall condition. Thats because a stressful body can put hair follicles into a "resting phase," restricting the production of new hair strands. The situation worsens if you have COVID-19 as, during this time, your body goes into a nutritional deficiency.
Although the hair, in this case, generally grows back in a brief period, there are always things that you can do to accelerate the regrowth process and to prevent further hair loss. Want to know about them? Well, you have landed at the right place. Here are hair care tips that will help you deal with hair loss post-COVID-19.
Tips to Prevent Hair Loss post-Covid Recovery
1. Health Tips for Post Covid Hair Loss
- Choose a well-balanced diet
Our hair specialist Dr Neelima states that a well-balanced diet, which includes protein, omega-3 fatty acids, micronutrients, multivitamins, and antioxidants, can change the course of your hair loss.
As hair follicles are made mostly of protein, using a good protein source can change your hair game for good. That's why you should use plant or animal-based protein like legumes, lentils, broccoli, mushroom, soya, paneer, fish, eggs, and chicken for thicker and healthier-looking hair.
She suggests investing in nuts and seeds like almonds, walnut, flax seeds, chia seeds, and pumpkin seeds for natural omega fatty acids. She also recommends including fruits like pomegranate and apple that are excellent sources of micronutrients in your diet as they are not only good for your hair but for your overall health too.
For including iron in the diet, according to Dr Neelima, one should add a lot of leafy vegetables in their daily routine along with dates. And for antioxidants, you should always fall back to dried or fresh berries.
Our Hair specialists also recommend taking supplements of zinc, iron, B complex, antioxidants, and omega fatty acids with your diet for better results.
Note: If you are dealing with a vitamin B12 or vitamin D3 deficiency, you can take extra supplements after consulting a physician or dermatologist over a call. If you are still searching for a good dermatologist, especially in Bangalore, you should consult one of Kosmoderma's esteemed doctors. They will be able to give you a hands-on solution for your hair problems. Are you interested? Then book an appointment now by calling @08043691319.
- Exercise regularly
Increased blood flow and circulation are beneficial for your hair as it means that more nutrients and oxygen are reaching the scalp. Thirty minutes of cardiovascular activity like brisk walking at least three times a week can help you prevent further hair loss.
- Sleep well
Inadequate sleep can result in stress, which can eventually lead to more hair loss. A night of good sleep will put a check on your stress while contributing towards the protein synthesis for hair and the healthy release of enzymes and growth hormones.
- Reduce mental stress
Stress and anxiety-induced stress are known to contribute to specific hair loss conditions. To cope with them, you should practice meditation and deep breathing techniques.
- Don't overdo your daily routine and give yourself some days off. You and your hair deserve to rest.
2. Hair Care Tips Post Covid Hair Loss
- Do not go overboard while combing your hair with fine bristle combs. It will do nothing but damage to your already falling hair. Instead, use a coarse comb to detangle your hair gently.
- Please have patience with your hair and be a little kind to them. As not doing so can lead to more hair fall.
3. Hair Oiling Tips
- Oil your hair only an hour before you take a bath.
- Do not oil your hair overnight, as it can lead to the accumulation of dust. Thus, blocking the hair follicles and causing infections.
- Apply lesser oil to your scalp and more oil at the ends.
4. Hair Wash Tips
- If you are dealing with significant hair loss, then you should try changing your hair wash schedule. Our expert suggests that once you recover, shampooing should be done wisely. Although men, if they want, can wash their hair daily, women should refrain from shampooing every day.
- If you are not dealing with excessive dandruff, go for shampoos that are paraben and sulfate-free as they will cause minimum damage to your already falling hair.
- Do you have an oily or flaky scalp? Use shampoos with ketoconazole or zinc pyrithione, or selenium sulfide to deal with them.
- We'd recommend using shampoos that are dermatologically tested, just like Kosmoderma's Kosmo Hair Gen Shampoo, which has ingredients like AnagGain and Caffeine that stimulate and facilitate hair growth.
- Avoid using hot water for showers. It is better to wash your hair with lukewarm or cold water to save them from potential heat damage.
- Have a hard water supply at home? Consider using bottled or drinking water for your scalp. If that's too much of a task for you, consider using water softeners.
5. Hair Styling Tips
- Avoid blow-drying as it may cause heat damage to your hair that can facilitate further hair loss.
- Do not tie your hair tightly, as it can put an unnecessary strain on your roots. It can cause your hair to break and get damaged.
- Always use a serum to coat your hair with healthy nutrients. Haven't had the chance to buy one yet? Then, we would highly recommend you try the Kosmo Hair Gen Serum. Our Kosmo Hair Gen serum is packed with the goodness of ceramides, peptides, vitamin E, panthenol, and apigenin- making your hair healthy as ever. So, do your hair a favour and buy yourself a bottle today!
Recovering from COVID-19 is a victory on its own. So, don't be hard on yourself if you start losing hair.
We are sure that if you follow the tips mentioned above religiously, your hair will grow back in no time.
Are you dealing with extreme hair loss and worried that nothing is working for you? Then, it is better that you consult a hair specialist who can put an end to hair misery. Book an appointment with us, and we promise we will solve your hair loss issue before you know it. Give us a call @08043691319 or ping us @9686664128 for more details
Kosmoderma Skin, Hair & Lasers Clinics are dedicated to medical excellence in the field of Cosmetic Dermatology with international accreditation and facilities.
We offer scientifically proven treatments using US FDA approved technology. All our products have undergone extensive research and trials in USA, Europe and India. We pride ourselves in offering safe, effective and affordable treatments with high standards of quality. Kosmoderma gives personalized consults with skin care and uses facial analyzer and 3D imaging of the skin to analyze and personalize the treatments and skin regimen.