Glutathione, an antioxidant produced in the body itself has been touted as the best possible treatment available for skin lightening. But why is that so- the obvious answer is that since this tripeptide has anti-ageing and melanin fighting abilities at the core of its existence, it will do so. Also, considering that it is produced inside the body itself, the systemic resistance if the same composition is then induced into the body will be minimal at max.
That being said, let us now focus on knowing the basics about Glutathione to understand why it is effective in skin lightening.
What is Glutathione and what are its bodily functions?
Glutathione is a tripeptide composed of three amino acids, namely Cysteine, Glutaminic Acid and Glycine.
It is responsible for
- Maintaining Vitamin C and E in their usable active forms,
- Regulating the production of hydrogen peroxide
- Neutralising lipid peroxides
- Facilitating easier water solubility of the drugs (medical) for easier excretion.
How does Glutathione induction into the body help?
The major effects that Glutathione infusion has on body includes
- Raised energy levels
- Detoxification of the body
- Improved cellular repairs
- Reduced ageing process
If Glutathione is present in the body, what is then need for external infusion then?
Just like the production of other hormones and anti-oxidants in the body gets reduced over time, Glutathione production gets reduced too. Other than the natural ageing, there are several other factors also which inhibit Glutathione production in the body:
- Various toxins such as Tylenol, smoke such as from tobacco products, barbequed foods and fuel exhausts, and solvents such as acetone if inhaled cause a sudden reduction in Glutathione production which may or may not get rejuvenated over time
- Certain chemicals present in the low quality non stick coatings, plastic containers, tin can linings etc can also result in reduced glutathione production
- A random dietary pattern as well as strenuous exercise can also affect the regular glutathione production
Can Glutathione Levels be increased naturally?
Green leafy vegetables, such as spinach, broccoli and parsley are rich sources of glutathione. An average of 30-60% of glutathione is lost during cooking/boiling and up to 100% as a result of canning hence, it is important that you prefer fresh veggies over canned ones and as much as possible prefer roasting over boiling.
High quality whey protein for that matter has also been shown to raise glutathione in the cells.
At Kosmoderma we understand that with the kind of busy lifestyle that most of us have, getting the adequate glutathione dosage through diet is difficult but we also understand that chemical intake isn’t the solution.
Hence, the glutathione dosage that we prescribe as well as use are totally natural and suited for your body type.
That being said, we hope this article could add to your existing knowledge base.