Dull skin generally describes the skin that lacks radiance or glow. Basically, any triggers that deprive your skin of much-needed oxygen and nutrients will result in dull skin tone. Most people take it for granted that dull skin is part of aging and there is nothing much we can do about it! But the fact is, you can have radiant looking skin all through your life if only you maintain it well and follow a few guidelines.
What can we do about it?
Dullness of the skin is very normal after a certain age as your cell rejuvenation process slows down. It is very important to follow a proper home care regimen to keep that glow. Cleansing, exfoliating, toning, moisturising should be an essential part of your regimen on a regular basis. But only skin care regimen might not help if the skin is already dull.
Apart from following a good home care regimen, making a few lifestyle changes becomes very important. To avoid dull skin, one needs to take necessary measures like quit smoking, reduce alcohol, get enough sleep, drink plenty of water and eat healthy.
If you want to delay your aging process, your skin maintenance should start as early as in your twenties. But most people realize this when they start noticing damage on their skin in their late thirties. It is always never too late to start on a good skin maintenance program.
Follow these few tips
- You will need a sunscreen with SPF 30 at least! Make sure you apply sunscreen from head to toe every day, and use makeup that’s infused with SPF for even more protection. The sunscreen will not only guard your skin, but will also adjoin a bit of shine to your skin.
- Apart from using mild exfoliants, use a retinol based night cream for skin renewal and pore size. Prescription-strength retinoids can boost collagen to reduce fine lines, deep wrinkles, unclog pores. It can speed up cell turnover to even out the discoloration and make your skin flawless and shiny.
- A hyaluronic acid based serum can be used to rehydrate your skin. Hyaluronic acid is a lubricating fluid that’s naturally found in the skin, eyes, joints, fluid and connective tissue. As body collagen declines, the appearance of wrinkles and discoloration become more visible. Maximizing collagen levels will keep skin supple. Hyaluronic acid keeps collagen synthesis up, as well as retains skin moisture and contribute to the anti-aging benefits to the skin.
- An oral antioxidant also helps. Antioxidants fight free radical damage, boost immunity, delay skin aging and protect against sun damage. It almost works as an internal sun screen for your body. It can prolong and even make some skin reversals of damage that will take years off without much cost & can give you that ever glowing skin.
- Also take professional help if needed. There is no need to be afraid of undergoing a skin treatment as long as you know that you are consulting a professional. Get MediFacials at skin clinics that include chemical peels, or PhotoFacials with a laser instead of regular facials. This will penetrate deep into your skin to bring back the glow & will address many age related skin issues.
Home remedies for dull skin
- Make a face scrub with wheat husk, a few drops of lemon and milk. Apply the scrub with gentle circular strokes and wash with normal water. Use the scrub twice a week to remove dead skin. It rejuvenates the skin by stimulating blood circulation and gives the glow without oiliness.
- Soak a teaspoon of urad dal and 5-6 almonds overnight. Add 1 tablespoon of raw milk & grind this to a fine paste. Apply this protein mask on face and wash it off after 20 minutes rubbing in circular motion. This mask nourishes the facial skin, removes dead skin, adds moisture and enhances the complexion.
Schedule an appointment with your dermatologist if lifestyle and cosmetic remedies don’t seem to be helping your dull skin problem. Your dermatologist can suggest a number of skin care procedures to be done in the office to help speed skin cell turnover and reveal more youthful skin.