BEFORE YOUR SKIN PEEL
- Be sure that your skin is not irritated or suffering with any infections or cold sores. Do not use depilatory creams, bleach, shave or have any hair removal treatments such as waxing or leaser for at least three days prior to a skin peel.
- If you are unwell, or are taking certain medications it is not advisable to peel the skin. Some medications can affect the sensitivity of the skin, so you must advise your practitioner of any tablets or creams you are using if you are considering a skin peel
- Although a tanned skin can be treated with either Microdermabrasion or an acid peel, it is not advisable to perform a skin peel on skin that has recently been exposed to intense UV. Two weeks between UV exposure (natural sun or tanning booth) and skin treatment is recommended.
- Do not scrub, exfoliate or use peeling products such as AHA’s – Glycolic acid on the skin for at least 3 days prior to a skin peel, unless advised otherwise by your practitioner as part of your skin programme.Oral medications for treating acne can make the skin extremely sensitive, so kindly advice your practitioner of these medications.
- You must inform your practitioner of any skin care you are already using, especially if you are using prescribed antibiotics, steroids or Vitamin A and any other peeling products you have obtained other than at Kosmoderma. This will enable us to create an accurate personalized skin programme for you regarding in clinic treatments and home care. You may be advised to stop using certain creams before you start peeling the skin.
- If you are aiming to reduce pigmentation problems, or as a general precaution you may be asked to use a pigment suppressing product for two or six weeks before peeling the skin along with vitamin A. These products ate important in prepping your skin so as to avoid adverse reactions.
- Do not have facial fillers or Botox treatment for at least two weeks prior to a Microdemabrasion and for or acid peel.
- Do not have any laser / heat treatments for three days prior to your skin peeling.
DURING YOUR SKIN PEEL
The acid solution is applied using a brush or cotton swabs for a few minutes. (These solutions can be applied to the back of hands, back, legs and other body areas for a few minutes longer compared to the face area).
Stinging, burning or itching sensations maybe experienced. This is normal and in fact desirable for efficacy of the treatment. You will be asked by your practitioner to describe the sensations you feel on the skin so that the skin reaction can be monitored. After several minutes the acid will be neutralized suing either water or a sodium bicarbonate solution. This will feel cold! All or most of the sensations caused by the peel will be stopped by the neutralization.
Appropriate skin care products will be applied to protect your skin and you will be advised on what to do next.
The peeling crystals are applied to the skin via a vacuum suction through a plastic nozzle. It feels like a scraping or gritty sensation. It is not particularly relaxing, but it is a tolerable sensation. Your skin will become slightly pink or red during the treatment depending on how sensitive you are to friction. This reduces considerably within 15-30 mins leaving a glow or flushed appearance.
Appropriate skin care products will be applied to protect your skin and you will be advised on what to do next. The best effects from a Microdemabrasion are seen 24 – 24 hrs pot treatment.
AFTER YOUR SKIN PEEL
Most patients experience no side effects, including visible peeling, though normal temporary side effects can occasionally include mild stinging, mild swelling, redness, dry brown patches, mild flaking and peeling as described above.
Use of sun block is essential; Do not be fooled by over cast or cloudy grey skies. Sun block will help prevent and fade pigmentation problems and protect the skin.
The first 24-28 hours after your peel:
- Do not scrub or rub the skin.
- Avoid the sun and apply sun block every 3-4 hours if you are outside a lot.
- Avoid hot water on the skin including saunas, steam room, and avoid soaking in a hot bath.
- Avoid swimming and heavy exercise where the skin may sweat or become red.
- Do not use perfumed products. Use a mild cleanser and the skin care moisturizer recommended by your practitioner.
- You may be asked NOT to use your usual skin care routine at home for 24 – 48 hrs or so after your treatment.
- Ideally make up should be avoided for as long as possible. This is to help keep the skin clean whilst it responds to the treatment and avoid infection. Wait a minimum of three hours before applying make up but preferably wait at least 12-24 hrs.
A few days after your skin peel:
The skin may feel or appear slightly dry possibly with some mild flaking. This is normal and in fact desirable. If a deeper peel has been performed, dryness or skin peeling may be more pronounced and may last for several days.
You can resume your usual skincare routine at home ideally using products that have been recommended to assist improving your skin problems and complement your peeling treatments.
BENEFITS OF PEELING TREATMENTS*:
- Gradually helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles
- Alleviates dry skin
- Removes dead skin cells
- Smoothes rough texture
- Helps to lighten pigment / dark spots
- Softens the skin and appearance of ‘open’ pores
- Helps reduce and dry out active acne
- Exfoliates razor bumps
- Reduces ingrown hairs and smoothens the markings
- Reduces the appearance of acne scarring.
- Enhances homecare programs by allowing active products to penetrate deeper.
*The Kosmoderma website contains facts, views, opinions, statements and recommendations of users of the Kosmoderma clinics, website, third party information providers and organizations. Individual results may vary.