Tear Trough Treatment | Kosmoderma
As we age, there is a loss of collagen, leading to a loss of volume and elasticity in the tear trough (interface between your lower eyelids and upper cheek) region. This causes thinning skin, dark circles, wrinkles, and under-eye hollows, making you look dull, tired and aged. This may negatively impact your overall appearance. In some cases, a tear trough could be an inherited (passed down through families) condition, while in most people, it is believed to be due to sleep deprivation and inadequate hydration (water intake). Tear troughs can be treated through lifestyle modifications like adequate sleep, and hydration, and by quitting smoking and alcohol. Currently, medical procedures are gaining momentum and among the procedures is the tear trough treatment.
What is Tear Trough Treatment?
Tear trough treatment is a non-surgical and non-invasive facial rejuvenation procedure that uses dermal especially designed for tear trough areas. These injectable fillers aim to reduce the depth of a tear trough by adding volume beneath the eyelids and making the skin look fuller and tighter.
What is a Tear Trough Filler?
A tear trough filler is an injectable solution used under your eyes. These fillers aim to add and replenish the lost volume beneath the eyelids. The solution most often used in the tear trough area is hyaluronic acid, a gel-like substance that naturally exists in your body. Hyaluronic acid increases fullness under the eyes and decreases hollowness.
How is Tear Trough Treatment performed?
Tear trough treatment is a non-surgical, outpatient cosmetic procedure that adds volume to your under-eye areas and enhances fullness. It involves the following steps:
- Your cosmetic surgeon will conduct a physical examination to evaluate your under-eye area.
- Your detailed medical history is recorded to rule out diseases like diabetes (high blood sugar levels), etc.
- You are advised to avoid blood thinners, aspirin, Vitamin E and other herbal supplements 1 week before the procedure.
- Avoid excess salt intake before and after the procedure to prevent fluid retention.
- Avoid alcohol 24 hours before the treatment since it thins your blood causing bruising.
- The under-eye area is cleansed with an antiseptic solution to prevent infections.
- A topical anesthetic is applied to numb the area and decrease pain.
- The filler solution is loaded in the syringe connected to a blunt or sharp needle.
- The filler is injected into your lower eyelid, and the area is slightly massaged to spread the filler evenly. The procedure is repeated to the other eyelid.
Post-procedure and aftercare
- You can go home once the procedure is completed.
- You will likely experience mild swelling, bruising and redness around the injected site, which resolves within 48 to 72 hours.
- Apply ice packs for the initial 48 hours to control the swelling.
- Avoid strenuous activities for the next 48 to 72 hours.
- Sleep on your back or sideways and not in a face-down position for at least 1 to 2 days.
- Gently massage your under-eye area with light finger pressure.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals and soaps around your eyes for 1 to 2 days.
- Avoid eye makeup for the next 2 days post-tear trough treatment.
- You may need repeat treatment 9 to 12 months after the initial session.
Benefits of Tear Trough Treatment
This cosmetic procedure has the following benefits:
- Painless and scarless
- Boosts collagen production
- Quick treatment with instant results
- No downtime
- Provides facial rejuvenation by reducing signs of ageing
If you suffer from tear troughs and looking for a qualified, well-trained dermatologist, then Kosmoderma is the right place for you. We are well-equipped with state-of-the-art technology to provide excellent surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures to enhance your overall appearance.