Skin or Tissue tightening is a non-surgical process for skin rejuvenation. A non-invasive process, it tightens and lifts the sagging wrinkled skin. The underlying principle of this procedure is that deep heating of the skin causes the collagen to contract as well as the cells to produce fresh collagen for recuperation. The entire effect lasts for about 4 to 6 months over which continuous collagen regeneration keeps taking place.
- Skin Tightening Treatments at Kosmoderma
- What to expect from a Skin Tightening Treatment?
- Risk Involved
- Before the treatment, the concerned person is supposed to remove all makeup, sunscreens or any other thing that has been applied on the skin.
- The patient is then provided with a protective eyewear while the practitioner applies a topical anaesthetic cream to the area to be treated. Considering that the procedure is non-ablative, any further anaesthetics are not required. However, for people who specifically mention about sensitivity and lesser pain tolerance, over-the-counter pain medication is given prior to the procedure.
- During the procedure, the dermatologist/therapist uses a handpiece to apply brief pulses of laser energy to the skin. For optimal results, a particular area needs to be gone over and pulsed about 2-3 times during one session only.
- The sessions usually last for about half to one hour depending upon the intensity of sag/wrinkle at the targeted area and also the size of it
- Once done with the treatment, there are no special precautions that need to be taken and the patient can return to a normal day doing the regular activities.
- For facial procedures and depending on the treatment area an improved jaw line definition (less jowl), a more toned central cheek area, and a firmer, less lax neck can be expected.
- In body tightening procedures with Intragen RF one can expect effective toning of the abdomen and reduction of laxity, toning and narrowing of upper arm or thigh.
Improvement for the procedures involving Intragen RF can be seen within two to three sessions. Also the results are gradual and not sudden i.e. showing immediately after a session.
- Mild discomfort and lack of definite immediate improvement are the most commonly noticed for tissue tightening. The protocol methods for performing tissue tightening treatments have changed since the release of these devices. The discomfort has decreased with these changes and the chance for more immediate improvement has increased. To evaluate results, we have patients come in for follow-up evaluations visits six months following the treatments.
- Short-term immediate risks include prolonged redness at the area being treated, although this usually dissipates before you leave the office or within a couple of hours.
- Swelling can occur and could last for a few days to a week.
- In some rare instances, swelling and redness may last over a few weeks.
- The treatment area may also become temporarily white (blanching) following a treatment. Blanching typically resolves within 24 hours
How does Tissue Tightening work?
When we talk about skin tightening, it is more often than not Laser Skin Tightening that we talk of. Laser Skin Tightening is a minimally invasive, non surgical process that uses an infrared monochromatic light source (a Laser) which heats the collagen under the skin’s surface, causing it to contract and hence tighten the skin in process. The logic is that over time with age, the collagen production in our muscles reduces. This causes the muscles and hence the skin to sag. Hence, whatever collagen is already present starts giving in and the sags start happening. This heating activates fibroblasts signaling new collagen to form and existing collagen to tighten over time.
Who Can think of going for Skin Tightening?
Anyone who is looking to tighten and lift their jowls, neck, cheeks, and forehead is a good candidate. Also lax skin on the eyelids, a heavy brow, or upper eyelid drooping, as well as lax abdominal skin, upper arm skin, or lax buttocks or thighs may benefit from these treatments. In some cases patients with superficial acne scars, rough skin texture, and mild to moderate superficial wrinkles are also found to benefit from this procedure
What happens after Tissue Tightening?
Some people might experience slight swelling and/or redness at the area being treated after the procedures is over. However, the same is temporary and will usually be okay within 3-4 days. Sunscreen and makeup can be applied immediately after the treatment.
Can this be combined with other treatments?
Laser skin tightening can be combined with other skin care treatments or can be done in silos too. Considering its non-ablative nature, almost all the skin treatments can be done in combination with it.
How long does it take for the results to show?
Though the effect of the procedure can be seen immediately, incremental effects can be seen over a period of 4- 6 weeks. Post that the results are constant and booster treatments will have to be taken at an interval of about 6 months.