What is Laser Hair Removal?
Laser Hair Reduction is the process in which a Laser beam is targeted at the hair follicles to destroy them in order to hinder the hair growth there. Laser Hair Removal involves specially approved Lasers whose type, intensity and wavelength vary with the nature of the skin of the person to be treated.
A concentrated beam of light is aimed at hair. The light is absorbed by the pigment, which damages the follicle enough to retard future growth. Lasers can remove hair for anywhere for durations ranging from several months to years, as the results differ widely from person to person.
Laser hair removal is performed with the help of different kind of lasers for the treatment. The major ones are ND Yag Laser, Diode Laser, IPL and Revlite. These lasers are approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) for hair reduction. The laser interacts with the pigment in the hair to produce heat. During this procedure, we pass an intense beam of light through the skin at the root of the hair. As a result, the dark hair becomes hot enough to destroy the cell which produces hair. If the light is intense enough, it will destroy the hair follicle to an extent where it can no longer produce hair at all.
This is a globally approved and accepted technology to remove hairs without any pain or discernible side effects. Lasers have been used in medical procedures for more than 15 years and no any long term side effects have been reported yet.
- Laser Hair Reduction at Kosmoderma
- The Pre, During and Post care for Laser Hair Reduction treatments
- Laser Hair Removal for men
The usual procedural steps involve the following:
- The Doctor reviews the skin type to see what Laser would be suited
- A discussion is done over the client’s health in general, expected or due pregnancy, allergies and skin sensitivity
- Once affirmed that the client can be administered a Laser treatment, a test patch is still done for confirmation
- The Test patch done, the person is advised the number of sessions that would be required for the complete removal.
- Pre-care instructions are given to the client and the schedule for the sessions is fixed accordingly.
- The during and post care instructions are given in the section below
- Avoid parlor activities a minimum of 2 to 3 weeks prior to the procedure (Bleaching, waxing, threading)
- Refrain from any parlour activity during your treatments, if u wish to undergo any, make sure that you inform your treating doctor in order to check its feasibility
- If you have recently undergone a skin tan procedure, make sure that you inform the doctor prior to the treatment
- Avoid waxing or shaving in between sessions on the areas to be treated
- Avoid excessive sweating, swimming, sauna etc. for 2 to 5 days post the treatment
- Avoid tight fit clothes for a minimum of 2 to 3 days post laser hair removal
- Keep your skin hydrated, apply adequate amount of moisturizer to ensure that your skin doesn’t dry up
If you experience any discomfort, erythema or itching on treated areas please contact the clinic immediately and our team will be happy to help you.
We understand that waxing is not an option with the amount of hair a man usually has and that using a razor is too tedious a task if done on daily basis.
Hence, Kosmoderma has dedicated Laser Hair Reduction plans for chest hair as well as for Beard Shaping. The chest hair removal uses the same procedure as the usual Laser Hair Reduction process, however, Beard Shaping uses a specialized US-FDA approved Laser.
More on the same is given in the following section.
Is it Laser Hair Reduction or Removal?
However, that does not mean that there will never be any hair growth on the treated area. It might be the case though in some cases but to say that a complete removal is guaranteed will be a misleading fact.
What are the Lasers used for Laser Hair Reduction at Kosmoderma
- The ND YAG Laser Due to the light absorption and target properties of the ND Yag laser, it has been proven to be the safest kind of laser to use on pigmented skin types and hence becomes especially effective on the Indian skin type which has usually higher melanin deposition
- The Diode Laser is especially suited for fairer skin types and allows for a better targeting of lightly pigmented hairs as well.
- The IP Laser is meant to target fine hairs irrespective of the skin type. This technology which uses a broad treatment hand-piece helps reduce treatment times making it a quick lunch time procedure for working professionals on the go.
- The Revlite Laser, the Q switched Nd-YAG laser can treat very short and fine hairs for the discerning clients.