Holi is round the corner and many of my patients are concerned about their Skin and Hair. Holi Festival is a time of unity, happiness and excitement as the country prepares to literally dance, bathe and celebrate life in all the colours of the rainbow imaginable.
But this festive spirit is slowly fading away as post Holi our skin tends to become excessively dry and patchy & hair becomes brittle & rough
due to the chemicals present in colours. Minor cuts and burns are other problems associated with one’s skin. By taking just a few precautions, everyone can enjoy Holi.
- Wear clothes that cover most of your body.
- It’s also important to protect yourself from the sunlight. Some chemicals found in synthetic colours together with the ultraviolet sunlight can cause a “photo-toxic” reaction on your skin. Therefore, apply a good coat of waterproof sunscreen with at least SPF30 before and after you play with colours.
- Put a generous coat of lip balm or Vaseline on your lips.
- Oil your hair with coconut, olive or castor oil. Doing so will protect your hair from the damage by harmful chemicals. It will also make it easier for you to wash all the colours off.
- After Holi, wash colours immediately before it dries on the skin with a paste of besan, with milk. Do not wash off skin with soap after playing holi as the chemicals in the soap can react with chemicals in the colours.
- You may apply curds on the scalp before washing your hair. After which, use a mild shampoo to wash out all the colours followed by a conditioner to put back the moisture.
- Another post-holi problem is the dry and brittle nails. Polish your nails with a transparent protective coat to avoid stubborn color stains.
Just follow these tips and smear your loved ones with natural colours without any concerns and have a wonderful Holi !!
Kosmoderma Skin, Hair & Laser Clinics Bangalore | Hyderabad | Chennai
Call us : 7676 757575