Did you say Latte was bad? 7 Reasons You Should Be Thankful to Coffee | Kosmoderma
It is proven that a cup of hot coffee can help uplift your senses and refresh you.
This quality of coffee can be attributed to the presence of caffeine, which is a central nervous stimulant. Caffeine is most commonly consumed in the form of tea, coffee, soft drinks and energy drinks.Did you know that caffeine is often considered a harmful drug as it can be addictive? Though, taking it in the right dose can have positive effects on your health. There are quite a few rumors out there about what caffeine does to your skin, and especially what coffee does to your skin.
Here are some reasons your skin will thank you for an external coffee boost:
- It’s a rich source of antioxidants: Free radicals are responsible for causing premature skin ageing. This results in the appearance of wrinkles, sun spots and loss of elasticity. The antioxidants contained in caffeine can attack these free radicals and eliminate them. It combats UV damage and repairs the skin. For this reason, caffeine is widely used in anti-ageing day and night creams in conjunction with retinol.
- It makes skin smooth and bright: Rubbing the grounds on your skin will remove dead skin cells and leave you with smoother, softer skin.
- It soothes inflammation: Caffeine possesses anti-inflammatory properties that make it effective in reducing inflammation and redness in your skin. It is often used as an ingredient in anti-inflammatory creams to enhance their effectiveness.
- It enhances circulation: When coffee promotes blood circulation, it leads to healthy and energized skin, effectively reducing the swelling of tissues and de-puffing areas of the skin.
- It stimulates hair growth: Caffeine is considered a stimulant for hair follicles. It is often used as an ingredient in shampoos and other hair care products to improve hair growth and structure.
- It helps to get rid of cellulite: Caffeine present in skin care products can dehydrate fatty cells. This minimizes the appearance of cellulite, thus providing you with a smoother skin. Application of skin cream containing caffeine reduced the size of cellulite cells. Another way to use caffeine is to add ground or instant coffee to regular body scrub at home.
- Treatment of Under Eye Dark Circles: Under eye dark circles can be caused by various factors such as dehydration, allergies, lack of sleep or genetics. Caffeine cannot cure hereditary dark circles. Its anti-inflammatory properties make it beneficial in reducing puffiness and inflammation associated with dark circles. Caffeine also reduces the accumulation of blood under your eyes which contributes to dark shadows. Eye creams meant to erase dark circles contain caffeine. Since tea leaves contain caffeine, you can apply moist tea bags under your eyes for 5 minutes to reduce dark circles and puffiness.
Do remember that like sodium and alcohol, caffeine dehydrates our bodies. It makes the liver work overtime, which causes toxic build up in the body and can disrupt healthy skin function. While we can sing coffee praises as a laxative, it is a diuretic, which means it causes you to lose hydration and have a direct effect on your skin. Dehydrated skin leads to inflammation (redness) and premature aging (collagen loss).
Additionally, without enough water flushing your system, toxic buildup in the skin can also cause acne. Also coffee triggers acne because of the milk and sugar we consume with it.
So, while drinking coffee has its health benefits, it is important to remember that too much can have a negative effect as well. Remember to stay well hydrated by drinking at least 6 to 8 glasses of water per day. If you are considering an alternative to coffee, you can always try switching to decaf or green tea.
Kosmoderma Skin, Hair & Lasers Clinics are dedicated to medical excellence in the field of Cosmetic Dermatology with international accreditation and facilities.
We offer scientifically proven treatments using US FDA approved technology. All our products have undergone extensive research and trials in USA, Europe and India. We pride ourselves in offering safe, effective and affordable treatments with high standards of quality. Kosmoderma gives personalized consults with skin care and uses facial analyzer and 3D imaging of the skin to analyze and personalize the treatments and skin regimen.