Get the 'Moist' of it.
How to Choose the right Moisturisers
Moisturizers play a very important role in your home care regimen. A skin moisturizer works by sealing moisture on the outer layer of the skin and by pulling moisture from the inner layers of skin to the outer layer so that your skin looks dewy and healthy at all times.
Selecting the right moisturizer can be difficult for some. Moisturisers at times can be very greasy & heavy or at times they do not moisturize enough . Finding the perfect moisturiser is a trial & error procedure. The key ingredients that seal in moisture are mineral oil, lanolin, petrolatum and Dimethicone. Glycerin, propylene glycol, proteins, urea, and vitamins help attract water into the outer layer of the skin. Some skin moisturizers also contain an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA), which exfoliates dead skin.
The skin on your face is thinner and more sensitive, so it’s a good idea to use a different moisturizer on your face than you do on your body. Find a moisturizer that is smooth & easy to apply . Always apply facial moisturizer immediately after cleansing your face to still-damp skin. Let it set for several minutes before applying make-up, as this will trap the moisture. Do not rub in the moisturizer, but gently pat it on the skin.
How to Choose?
The amount of moisturizers out there can be overwhelming for many. It’s very important to know your skin’s requirement at a given time. Be flexible. Realize that many factors affect your skin, including weather, hormones, medications, and age. So if your moisturizer doesn’t seem to be working, consider trying a different one. In fact, you may use a heavier one for the cold weather months, and a lighter gel one for warmer weather. Do not be fooled by the pricing or packaging, always pay attention to the ingredients .
What to Choose?
Understanding what skin type you fall into makes it easier for you to pick the right daily moisturizer. Generally companies label their moisturisers corresponding to the skin type. Look for one that would best suit you skin type.
- Sensitive skin: Look for fragrance-free and oil-free moisturizers
- Acne prone Skin: Be careful in choosing a moisturizer when you have acne prone skin. Select moisturizers labeled “non-comedogenic”, which means they won’t clog pores & read up reviews on the product to be sure . However if you suffer from break outs, be sure to change your product immediately.
- Normal to oily skin : Choose a non-greasy, water-based moisturizer
- Dry to very dry skin: Try the heavier oil-based products made with mineral oil, glycerin or hyaluronic acid.
- All Skin Types: Consider using a moisturizer with retinol before bed. Retinol is vitamin A for your skin. It speeds up the cell rejuvenation process. Use it carefully as it may cause a skin irritation, redness or dry skin.
- It is important to make sure that your daily moisturizer contains Sunscreen that helps protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
Kosmoderma Skin, Hair & Lasers Clinics are dedicated to medical excellence in the field of Cosmetic Dermatology with international accreditation and facilities.
We offer scientifically proven treatments using US FDA approved technology. All our products have undergone extensive research and trials in USA, Europe and India. We pride ourselves in offering safe, effective and affordable treatments with high standards of quality. Kosmoderma gives personalized consults with skin care and uses facial analyzer and 3D imaging of the skin to analyze and personalize the treatments and skin regimen.