Hair transplant is a surgical technique which is used to move the hair follicles from one part of the body (usually called donor site) to another part of the body called the recipient site. Usually done to cover up the bald patches on the head, some other utilities of hair transplant include hiding the scars on face and nearby areas caused due to accidents or surgeries and, restoration of the eyebrows, eyelashes, beard hair, chest hair and pubic hair.
Knowing the Techniques
The most common techniques for Hair transplant include Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT) and Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE).
FUT involves removing a 6 to 10 inch skin strip from the back of the head (harvesting hair follicles from the donor area), dividing it into grafts of either individual hair or a group of hair. The number of grafts usually depends on the intensity the volume of the bald patch.
In FUE however, the surgeon shaves the back of the head and removes (harvests) the follicles one by one. The procedure of planting the graft is same after this for both the techniques.
Regardless of the harvesting technique (technique for removal of the hair follicles from the donor area) being used for hair transplantation, what matters most is the proper extraction of the hair follicles. Since the hair follicles grow at an angle to the surface, therefore the transplanted tissue must also be removed corresponding to that angle. It is because of this reason that getting the hair transplant done by an expert is of paramount importance for the success of the process.
Though FUE is comparatively expensive and time consuming as compared to FUT yet it is preferred because first, unlike FUT, no stitch mark is left on the scalp as no skin is removed per se. Also, the results obtained are more natural and the postoperative recovery is usually faster.
There is however another new and advanced technique for hair implantation called Direct Hair Transplant. The advantage that this technique has over the other two is that it does not require reception incision or making holes on the receptor surface. With the help of a patented DHI implanter tool, the hair follicles are directly implanted at the receptor site.
The sittings and sitting duration for either of the three techniques depends on the extent of baldness or hair thinning on the affected area.
Hair Transplant Treatment at Kosmoderma
Kosmoderma offers both FUT and FUE. In some cases where hair density on the scalp is very low or the person has had several transplants before or has developed alopecia (spot baldness), Body Hair Transplant (BHT) is also done. However, in such cases, the patient needs to remember that the texture, growth cycle and follicle-hair density.
The only difference between a traditional FUE and BHT-FUE is the donor area; the procedure remains essentially the same.
Facial Hair Transplant is the hair transplant procedure done for facial areas where hair are thinning. It is mainly done to hide scars or increase the beard hair growth.
The Side Effects
Though hair transplantation has no major side effects, yet there are a few ways in which our body reacts to the transplant.
- Temporary thinning of permanent hair: within 2 to 3 weeks of the transplant, the transplanted hair will fall out. But this is completely natural and the re-growth starts immediately. Almost 60% of them grow back within the next 6 to 9 months
- Pain: Pain is usually minimal and most patients do not require any medication. However, for the few who experience any kind of pain, regular medications are sufficient.
- Itching: The scalp is tender after the transplant and some amount of itch is common but it usually lasts for not more than a week. Shampooing regularly can help contain it.
- Mild swelling: There is rarely any swelling but some patients complain of mild swelling for the initial 1 or 2 days which subsides on its own.
- Cysts: Though not more than 2 or 3 mm in size, some patients experience cyst development due to transplantation of several grafts at a single location. The cysts also like all other symptoms subside on their own within a few weeks only.
Know your Doctor
As was mentioned earlier also, success or failure of a hair transplant procedure is all about the skill of the doctor. It is therefore of utmost importance that you ask about your doctor’s experience in the domain. You can do a google search about the doctor too to know it from other patients how well the doctor works.
Keeping the importance of the doctor’s skills and the general expectations of our clientele, Kosmoderma hair and skin clinics has partnered with Dr Sushma Yadav for all the hair transplant procedures. She has performed hundreds of Hair Transplant surgeries and is proficient in Hair Regrowth treatments.