While discussing dark circles, it would be grossly unfair if we do not talk of baggy or puffy eyes which many people designate as dark circles too. Baggy or puffy eyes are caused due to various reasons viz water retention, fat deposition, allergies and excessive crying. Though the excessive crying caused baggy eyes usually get back to normal after some hours, the others need dedicated treatment.
Considering that our lifestyles, in general, have resulted in puffy eyes being a phenomenon more common than what it used to be at our parents’ or their parents’ time, there are a few things which you should know.
What causes Baggy Eyes
The major causes of baggy eyes are:
- Overconsumption of Salt: excess salt results in excessive fluid retention. The reason is simple: water tends to flow from the parts that are low in sodium (salt is sodium chloride by the way) to those which have most salt. The eyes form the perfect destination hence (Ever noticed your tears are salty, it is the Salt in them)
- Fatigue and Lack of sleep: Too much of stress or working on the laptop all day may tire your eyes and these tired eyes sometimes tend to look a bit puffy.
- Ageing: As you age, the tissues near the eyes sag and sometimes the fat usually supporting the eyes comes and deposits in the lower eyelid giving rise to puffy eyes.
- Sinus Issues: A sinus is a cavity within a bone or tissue mainly the facial ones. Sinusitis is the inflammation of the lining membrane in any of the hollow areas (sinuses) of the skull around the nose. Often sinusitis ( a medical condition) has one of its major symptoms in the form of puffy eyes. So, if you think that you have a balanced lifestyle and are having a good sleep and nor are your suffering from any allergies, maybe you should see an ENT to get checked for sinusitis
- Inherited facial features: Well, not much needs to be said about it because it is hereditary and science has still not advanced enough to find the right defaulter gene and get your facial features get corrected at birth. Till then however, we have procedures to correct these so that you don’t have to worry at all!
Now how to put those bags in check! Well simple:
- Cut on your salt content, you really need to and forever because if your body has a tendency to retain water, excess salt intake will only worsen it
- The Neti Pot Treatment: this one is weird and fascinating at the same time. The Neti pot is a disfigured kettle of sorts specially constructed to pour water down your nostrils. What you need to do is mix 30 ml of lukewarm water and 2 teaspoonful of salt. The resulting concoction has to be poured into one nostril only to be taken out of the other. Yes, it sounds weird and painful but it has been known to be effective since ages. One trivia about this technique: also known as nasal irrigation, the technique has its roots in Ayurveda
- Sleeping well (about 6 to 8 hours daily depending on your age) gives your eyes enough rest. Also, your sleeping position can have a lot of effect on your eye bags, if you sleep face down, avoid it because dear gravity has this issue of pulling everything down, even if it is the fluid near your eyes.
- Small changes in your lifestyle like doing away with smoking and drinking, at least curbing the same to an extent can help in preventing in puffy eyes. Alcohol causes dehydration which can result in your skin dying up and sinking into a pouch. Also, whenever you go boozing, drink a lot of water before having “the drink”
What is the procedure at Kosmoderma?
Following are the treatment recommendations for puffy eyes.
- Use of Vitamin K cream or Dermatologist recommended eye cream (Kosmocare BriteEyes)
- Lymphatic drainage massage of the area with Vit E oils
- Radiofrequency Eye massage
- Injection of Hyaluronic Acid in the sunken socket areas
- Cosmetic surgery – Blepharoplasty
Now, what if your puffy eyes are because of ageing or has its root in your gene structure! Well, Kosmoderma has just the right solutions for you. All you need to do is pick up your phones and dial 7676757575 to get an appointment. Once there, our super experienced Dermatologists will have a look at your face (analyse it well actually) and let you know if there is something just as simple as a home remedy that can help it or you need fillers or a face lift (do you know of any softer term for the same) talk to doc!