The Potato Wonders | Kosmoderma
Aren't potatoes the commonest things that we have in our life!?
They can literally be termed the best friends forever because no matter what you think or do, the potato will be there for you.
Whether it is about making the best snacks for the get together or getting the tan removed at home, the uses of potatoes are diverse!
This post is dedicated to the honour of potatoes- potatoes who have been a friend for life and will continue to be!
We start with the health benefits that potatoes have for us:
- The first is helping in controlling blood pressure. With its high potassium content, it helps in more salt and water excretion thus maintaining a lower blood pressure. An average baked potato a day taken twice daily is good for having a balanced diet
- potatoes contain alpha lipoic acid and Vitamin C- a coenzyme and vitamin combination which is proven to be useful in treating depression and improving mental health.
- The magnesium and potassium content in the potatoes is known to prevent bone density loss, a utility which is specially important for the adults after the age of 35.
- And the last but definitely not the least important, the fibre content in potatoes helps in improving the digestion.
This was about the health in general but considering our expertise which lies in Skin care, here is what potatoes do for our skin:
Potatoes are natural astringents. With Vitamin C and other collagen boosters in them, potatoes tend to reduce the wrinkles on the skin. Though a very drastic result should not be expected but if you have had a treatment and are looking for post care or your first wrinkles have just started showing up, a potato paste will help. Here is what needs to be done:
- Slightly soften (by boiling) and mash the potatoes in a thick paste
- Apply this paste on the areas where you are experiencing the fine line.
- Leave it for 20 minutes and then wash with cold water
- Moisturise well because potatoes tend to leave the skin dry
Dark circle reduction is a joint result of the presence of magnesium and catecholase enzyme in potatoes. While magnesium fights the free radicals which cause skin damage and darkening over time, catecholase enzyme is a natural skin whitening agent. To benefit from these two constituents of our friend potato, this is what needs to be done:
- Grate a potato and squeeze the juice out of it
- Use a cotton ball, gently dab it into the juice and keep applying it on the dark circles for about 15 minutes
- Let the juice dry for some 10 minutes now and wash it off with cold water
The reason behind lies in the presence of calcium, Vitamin C and bleaching properties which help in temporary melanin reduction. What needs to be done is simple:
- Blend a potato with curd. Curd in specific because it helps the skin to cool off
- Apply the paste on the affected area and wait for 15-20 minutes
- Wash it off with cold water. Can apply ice cubes for better results after cleaning the paste off
- Moisturise well
As mentioned before, potatoes have natural bleaching properties and helps in reduction of melanin production. For skin lightening purpose specifically, this is what needs to be done:
- Grate one potato and squeeze the juice out of it
- Mix it well with juice from half a lemon and apply it on your face
- Keep dabbing your skin with this juice for 10 minutes and then let it dry
- Once cried, wash it off with cold water and moisturise
So, a single potato and so many uses to put it too! Shouldn’t we all love it then, after all it is more than just a potato for you!
Kosmoderma Skin, Hair & Lasers Clinics are dedicated to medical excellence in the field of Cosmetic Dermatology with international accreditation and facilities.
We offer scientifically proven treatments using US FDA approved technology. All our products have undergone extensive research and trials in USA, Europe and India. We pride ourselves in offering safe, effective and affordable treatments with high standards of quality. Kosmoderma gives personalized consults with skin care and uses facial analyzer and 3D imaging of the skin to analyze and personalize the treatments and skin regimen.