Tips On Winter Skin | Kosmoderma
Tips to keep the winter at bay:
It's amazing what havoc a simple change of the weather can wreak. As the days and nights in winter are getting drier and cooler, I've noticed that my skin requires more moisturiser to stay supple and comfortable. More of my patients are also coming back with flares of eczema and of course dry skin. Due to lack of humidity in the air during the winter months, a lot of our patients suffer from dryness of the skin and hair, chapped lips and cracked heels.
Dry skin is caused due to lack of oil, whereas dehydration is lack of water. There are many external & internal factors that can affect both these conditions like pollution, lifestyle, hormonal levels & of course the WINTER season!!!
So what can we do about dry, scaly skin in cold weather??
- Try oil massage before taking a shower. And DO NOT take too hot showers as it will strip off natural oils from your body & make it feel dry & rough.
- Use pH balanced cleanser for the face & body
- Use mild face & body scrub to exfoliate dead skin cells at least once a week. This will help with product penetration too.
- Use Alcohol-free toner just before moisturizing your face. This will trap moisture. Use oil based night creams until winter ends.
- Last but not the least, sunscreen. Winter sun is as harsh as the summer. So don’t forget to protect yourself from harmful UV rays.
What about hair that looks dry & dull during winter?
- Use a deep conditioner each time you wash, and be sure to leave it on for at least five minutes.
- Rinse hair with cool water after you condition- the cooler the better! This will slam the cuticle shut and thereby will trap the moisture, giving your hair a beautiful shine.
- To prevent breakage or other damage, avoid blow-drying and brushing hair when wet.
- Regular olive oil massage provides healthy and natural shine to the hair as it conditions from the root to the tip. Plus the breakage will be less as olive oil helps to strengthen the hair roots & promote hair growth! It moisturizes and softens the hair well.
Tips for Chapped Lips
Chapped lips can occur in people of all ages and genders, particularly if they have dry skin. And in winter, it can become even worse if not taken proper care.
- Apply lip balm that contains a minimum SPF of 15
- Drink more water
- Use a humidifier in the home in dry weather
- Avoid cold weather conditions or wrap your mouth with a scarf
- Avoid the habit of licking or biting lips
Tips for cracked Feet
The skin on our feet is naturally dry, unlike the skin on the rest of the body. During winter months, this can be problematic for people who do not properly moisturize their feet on a regular basis, or who have a medical condition- such as diabetes or athlete’s foot.
- Moisturize feet, especially the heels, every day with thick cream or lotions containing lactic acid are especially effective and wear cotton socks to bed.
- Use a humidifier in the home in winter
- Getting a pedicure regularly also helps.
Winter mask for Face
Take the 1 tbsp of honey and 1 tbsp of rose water and mix them well. Now apply this pack on the face. Wash the face with after 10 minutes. Honey is the natural moisturizer for the skin rose water tones the skin. This face pack is good to treat the winter dry skin.
Coconut Cream Hair Mask:
This mask is kind of… sticky, sweet and time consuming to say the least. It’s also worth every minute. Take a chunk of coconut cream and warm it up in your hands. When it’s soft and pliable massage it into your hair. Slowly and carefully wrap your hair up into a warm towel and let the mask sit on your hair for one hour. Wash out with a mild shampoo and let your hair dry normally.
Soften your lips with honey
Honey is a great moisturizer that also has healing and antibacterial properties to treat chapped lips. Simply apply pure organic honey on your chapped lips several times a day. You can also make a paste of honey and glycerin and apply it before going to bed to enjoy softer lips in the morning.
Heal cracked heels
Combine a spoonful of olive oil and a few drops of lemon or lavender oil to create a moisturizing cracked-heel cream. Shake the ingredients until they form a thick, milky solution and use when needed. Shake before each use.
So follow these winter tips and keep your skin at its best all through the winter months and be ready to embrace summer with your glowing skin & hair.
Kosmoderma Skin, Hair & Lasers Clinics are dedicated to medical excellence in the field of Cosmetic Dermatology with international accreditation and facilities.
We offer scientifically proven treatments using US FDA approved technology. All our products have undergone extensive research and trials in USA, Europe and India. We pride ourselves in offering safe, effective and affordable treatments with high standards of quality. Kosmoderma gives personalized consults with skin care and uses facial analyzer and 3D imaging of the skin to analyze and personalize the treatments and skin regimen.