YOU ARE HOW YOU FEEL
Stress and it's Effects on Your Body & Skin | Kosmoderma
Stress and it's Effects on Your Body & Skin
Stress is a normal response and is helpful in many life situations as it can enhance our performance and drive. If stress and worry become too much to cope with or you feel overwhelmed, it may be time to seek professional help, especially if excessive stress is affecting your psychological or physical health.
Psychodermatology is a field that addresses the impact of an individual's emotion as it relates to the skin. With Acne for example, when you are tense, your body releases stress hormones, including cortisol, which may increase the skin's oil production, making you prone to pimples. In some cases of autoimmune diseases such as alopecia (hair loss) and vitiligo, scientists now show markers that a stressful event can trigger the autoimmune reaction.
Stress causes a chemical response in your body that makes skin more sensitive and reactive. It can also make it harder for skin problems to heal. Stress can worsen skin problems like psoriasis, rosacea, and eczema. It can also cause hives and other types of skin rashes and trigger a flare-up of fever blisters. One may also suffer hair loss, a dry itchy scalp, eczema & psoriasis flare ups on the scalp .
“Stress” plays a very important role in how you feel, which indirectly affect your skin and hair. So it’s important to cure the root cause before we address certain types of skin & hair issues. The best way to feel that you’re in good physical health is to undertake healthy behaviors. Change your environment to reduce stress, relax when you’re under pressure, and cope when there’s nothing you can do about the situation.
Let’s see what havoc stress can wreak on your body!
- A lack of sleep, dehydration, and junk food cravings often go hand-in-hand with stress, which also trickles down to poor hair and skin health.
- Stress can weaken overall skin and hair health. Stress can interrupt sleep patterns-a key component for skin and body repair.
- Stress promotes skin irritants. Chronic stress deprives your skin of oxygen and essential nutrients-and without adequate amounts of them, you get skin conditions like acne.
- Stress dries out everything. The negative effects of stress can present themselves on the skin with extreme dehydration that results in inflammation, hyperpigmentation, dullness and acne and also gives you wrinkles.
- Even if you usually eat well and exercise, chronic high stress can prevent you from losing weight-or even cause weight gain because a high level of the stress hormone cortisol has been shown to increase appetite and cravings for junk food.
- Stress causes hair loss. As stress causes the blood vessels begin to constrict, hair follicles are deprived of the oxygen, minerals, and vitamins it needs for healthy hair growth. In extreme cases, patients start to suffer from ailments such as Alopecia and Psoriasis, both of which contribute to weak and fragile hair that breaks easily.
- Sometimes severe stress can lead to formation of nasty habits like hair twirling or twisting or nail biting, which become almost subconscious causing damage to your skin and hair.
Kosmoderma Skin, Hair & Lasers Clinics are dedicated to medical excellence in the field of Cosmetic Dermatology with international accreditation and facilities.
We offer scientifically proven treatments using US FDA approved technology. All our products have undergone extensive research and trials in USA, Europe and India. We pride ourselves in offering safe, effective and affordable treatments with high standards of quality. Kosmoderma gives personalized consults with skin care and uses facial analyzer and 3D imaging of the skin to analyze and personalize the treatments and skin regimen.