Scar Removal in Bangalore & Chennai
Scarring is actually a natural step in the process of skin healing after the damage has been done. The problem is that the skin does not always heal in a desirable fashion, sometimes causing deformations and sometimes leading to marks which may be long lasting to permanent.
Humans have a tendency to scar after every single damage to the skin tissues unless of course the lesions are minor which and the skin heals fast. Also, some scars get dissolved or replaced by the new skin over time- a process more common in animals who can completely regenerate a new tissue as against humans.
Now, getting hurt and hence having a scar is normal but is flaunting that and letting it spoil the looks okay too? Unless of course they are war scars and hence a matter of ultimate pride, the scars should be treated especially if they are coming in the way of you feeling confident of yourself.
The most common scars that people usually get treated are the acne scars but that almost all the scars can be treated by similar procedure is a fact not many people are aware of.
Types of Scars
Before delving into how to correct or treat them, let us have a look at the types of scars one can have. The purpose is simple- the more you know your condition, the better you would be able to relate to what the dermatologist is saying.
To give an overview first, acne scars are caused by either the loss of tissue (atrophic) or by excess of tissue (hypertrophic). Based on these two categories, there are four sub-categories of acne scars.
- Ice Pick Scars: These are deep narrow scars giving the look as if something sharp pierced the skin. They usually develop after a cystic infection or deep inflammation which works its way to the surface. An atrophic scar, it is marked by the destruction of the skin tissue leaving a slender column like scar.
- Box Scars: Box scars are usually round depressions with vertical sides. For easier imagination, imagine a hollow hemisphere put over a cylindrical bottle, hollow side up. They are wider than ice pick scars and give a pitted appearance to the skin. Another example of atrophic scars, these are formed when an inflammation destroys the collagen in the skin tissue. The depth of the scar varies in proportion to the tissue destruction.
- Rolling Scars: Rolling scars which appear as wave like undulations on the skin are caused when fibrous bands of tissue develop between the skin and subcutaneous tissue below. The bands in turn pull the epidermis to the deeper structures of the skin.
- Keloid Scars: Type of a hypertrophic scar, this one is formed due to excess collagen production. More common in men as compared to women, they are more commonly found in the torso region.
Also, please note that discoloration of skin is a natural response of the skin to the inflammation caused on account of acne. It usually appears as colored patches ranging from pink to red, brown or black depending upon the skin tone and depth of discoloration. In many cases, this discoloration usually fades with time however, in some cases the extra melanin deposition which is usually the cause behind this discoloration has to be treated for removal
Scar Treatment at Kosmoderma
Unlike what the popular opinion is that scars can be treated only by Laser, there are several other Non Laser treatments too. Though the principle remains more or less the same- creating wounds to fasten the skin’s healing ability, yet the method by which these wounds or abrasions get created differs.
We will first have a look at some of these Non-Laser treatments before finally venturing into the domain of Lasers
Peels are usually the easiest way out in case of scar treatment because they are almost painless. Most peels are chemical based and work by creating minor abrasions on the skin which on account of getting healed fast, heal the nearby skin too. The underlying principle is that the abrasions stimulate production of collagen which thus fills up the scar pits. The skin in this case however tends to peel off over time. The number of peels required also depends on the intensity of scars and the sensitivity of your skin.
Microneedling is a frequently used technique. It works by damaging the skin tissues which starts a cycle of recovery thus producing new collagen which plumps up the skin and removes wrinkles and fine lines to a great extent
This method utilised Radio frequency waves against the usage of Lasers for breaking the scar tissue. This method involves pulse delivery to deeper skin layers in order to remodel the collagen. Almost no damage is caused to the upper skin layers and hence the downtime is very little if any at all. This process can be used as a standalone or in conjunction with other acne scar treatments.
The inherent principle behind usage of Laser scar removal is the same as the aforementioned. The difference comes in the type of lasers used which then depends on factors such as the depth of the scar, skin type of the patient etc.
Going into the details of these Lasers may not be of importance right now because what type of Laser would suit you will depend on the intensity of the scars as well as sensitivity of your skin type.
A broader categorisation of Lasers can be done basis the level of abrasion that is done.
- Ablative lasers such as CO2 and Erbium are more invasive and work by vaporising the outer layer of the skin. This process results in the skin getting in a default healing mechanism leading to increased collagen production. Also, as compared to CO2 lasers. Erbium YAG has more affinity for water which makes the results thus obtained better.
- For Non-ablative lasers such as Fraxel the invasion is far less and the laser works by heating up the targeted tissue without actually destroying it. This stimulates the body’s collagen production to fill in the unwanted fine lines or wrinkles.
**(It is important to note that not every treatment can be used for any of the scar type. It varies with the depth of the scar, the area over which it is spread, the type of scar that it is (pigmentation, ice pick, keloid etc) and several other factors which relate to the skin type.
For example, if someone has deep pigmentation then Laser is the more reliable of the options. However, the type of Laser, the intensity of the Laser light, all these things would depend on the extent of the condition and the person’s skin type in general. Similarly, for scars like ice pick which are not very deep, Fraxel laser could be used since a local application would be enough however in case of box scars, ablative lasers would be more effective.)
Pre and Post Care Instructions for Scar Removal Procedure
It is important that whenever you have decided on taking the treatment, you ensure that you follow all the instructions given by your dermatologist in order to have the desired results. Given below are a few Pre and Post care instructions, there may be additional too but your dermatologist would be able to tell you them basis your skin type.
Pre Care Instructions for Scar Removal Treatment
- Avoid use of warm water on the skin
- Always apply Moisturiser and Sunscreen before going out, the specification for the same should be as prescribed by the doctor
- Stop using night creams at least 2 days before the procedure or as instructed by the doctor
- Avoid swimming from 2 days prior to the procedure
- Avoid workout 1 day before the procedure
- Avoid parlour activities from 5 days prior to the procedure (Bleaching, waxing, threading).
- Avoid Laser treatment on the areas to be treated from 15 days prior to the procedure or as suggested by the doctor
Post Care Instructions for Scar Removal Treatment
- Avoid excessive sweating, swimming, sauna etc 2-5 days post the treatment
- Avoid wearing tight fit clothes for 2-3 days post laser hair removal
- Keep your skin hydrated, apply adequate amount of moisturiser to ensure that your skin doesn’t dry up
- Avoid parlour activities for 2 weeks post the procedure
To see best results please stick to the time duration between 2 sessions as suggested by the doctor.
If you experience any discomfort, erythema or itching on treated areas please contact the clinic immediately and our team will be happy to help you.
I consulted Dr sirisha at kosmoderma for my acne and scar treatment. From my first visit everything was taken care perfectly. I was explained all the treatment options in detail and was told that results on scars take time . After 6 months of procedures which included peels and lasers with prp I got wonderful result . Not only my acne subsided completely my scars are much better and overall skin texture n tone has improved a lot . I am happy that I have chosen kosmoderma and I recommend kosmoderma to anyone who are suffering with the same issue.
– Manohar Gowda wrote on 24th July 2017
Hi!!i had very sad marks on my face after laser treatment done in mumbai,was in depression and very bad state of mind then i came to know about dr.chytra, i met her and she suggested laser treatments..i have trusted her n taken it,over a period of time it healed n scars diminished& i got lot of relieved,now my skin looks entirely different..i am very happy to see new me after a long time..its worth coming to kosmoderma,their treatments are really good worth the money you spend it here.highly recommended.Thank you to all theteam of kosmoderma.Thank you for giving me confidence again.
– Nalini wrote on 22nd March 2017